The Glenfeshie woodlands have long been exploited by man, and in the eighteenth century timber was floated down the river Spey from the Glenfeshie woods. Natural events such as the great flood of 1829 also caused much destruction to the riverside trees.
Queen Victoria visited Glenfeshie in 1860 and 1861 and commented on the magnificent fir, birch and juniper. The trees on the lower slopes of Creag Mhigeachaidh were felled around 1970 and during the Second World War much felling was done by the Canadian Forestry Corps. Red deer have been numerous in the woods since the seventeenth century.
In places along the eastern river bank massive, ancient pine and alder have been pollarded in a practice pre-dating the Highland Clearances to provide cattle with fodder by removing the lower branches. Pollarding prolongs the life of a tree, hence these trees may be some of the oldest found in Glenfeshie, dating back at least to the 1700s when the glen was an important route for drovers.